Thursday, July 5, 2012

Drought and Rain

It seem as if a blowdryer has been blowing on us for weeks,
Until our world was shriveled and crispy
ready to burst into flames
if you look at it the wrong way.
We sadly watched the smoke rise across the valley as field fires ignited,
The constant smell of smoke in our noses from burning deserts.
But most heartbreaking to me
was the sight of smoke
rushing up into the mountains
toward the trails and peaks
that are my place of refuge from the world.


Then my prayers were more earnest.
Please, send us rain. Please.

This morning, I woke to clouds
Have I ever rejoiced at a cloudy day before?
We went outside
delighted each time we felt a raindrop
until we couldn't tell the difference between them
and then we sang and danced
as the rain soaked into our parched
hair and faces and clothes.

Rain has never been so delicious, for the thirst we had before.



No comments:

Post a Comment